Wednesday, 9 May 2007

I NOW BELIEVE IN MIRACLES

Never in a million years - Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness chatting amiably. Do they deserve an Oscar, or is it true? I hope so, for if this is real, anything is possible.
‘Northern Ireland has come to a time of peace,’ said Paisley, and echoing in my mind was the doubt of ‘never, never, never.’ Well Neverland is here and we’ll have to rename Peter Pan. It makes me want to believe in miracles.
It will still, no doubt, be a bumpy road. After all, it IS Northern Ireland. And we need to understand how it came about. It began when John Major decided to talk to the IRA; it was spurred on when 9/11 finally convinced the Americans the IRA were terrorists; and it was nudged forward by the magical effects of Mo Mowlam and Co.
And, I have to say, an enlightening of more than a few well known Northen Ireland characters. Infact, the only person involved who didn’t do that much was Tony Blair.
No doubt he’ll say he played his role, but I don’t believe in miracles that much.

© Anthony North, May 2007

Inde-Pol

No comments: