Monday, 27 August 2007

PARENTS PAY FOR CRIME

Judge Richard Bray has ordered the parents of two British girls who took part in a violent street robbery to pay compensation to the victim. I can hear howls of delight throughout the land at this decision.
In general, I agree with the decision – a parent MUST do everything in their power to make sure their children behave. But it must be pointed out that this task has never been more difficult.
Never before has media and peer pressure been so pervasive as today. And when you link this to the fact that most traditional punishments are no longer acceptable, the task of parenting is far more difficult than it seems.
Yes, I agree that a parent is responsible, and when a clear case of neglect in this area arises, it is right that the parent also accepts blame. But before making this is an absolute ruling, we must remember the restrictions a parent is facing today.

© Anthony North, August 2007

Click Tony On for current affairs
Crime Page

2 comments:

V said...

Hey!

I don't quite agree with you here...

I mean, I agree to the extent that parents are definitely responsible for raising their kids and their social development, but I think it is highly unfair for them to pay for their children's crimes. A parent can just try to teach their kids. The kids, however, are individual entities responsible for their own decisions. A parent is a guide, not an alibi who partakes in their misdoings...

--
Narziss

anthonynorth said...

Hi V,
Yes, it's a difficult one. As I put it in the post:

'I agree that a parent is responsible, and when a clear case of neglect in this area arises, it is right that the parent also accepts blame.'

Hence, I don't exactly say they should pay - simply that when a clear case of parental irresponsibility arises, responsibility should be acknowledged in that case.
But as I also say, parents need a bit of power back to do this.