Thursday, 20 September 2007

YOBS FOR THE ARMY

A British Army Brigadier has said that many of our young troublemakers from deprived areas should be seen as ideal recruitment material for the army. But instead, they just hang around, causing trouble and indulging in petty crime.
With many of them, I couldn’t agree more. I remember, when I was a kid myself, that many from the ‘naughty boy’s home’ – as we used to call it – joined the Army, and meeting some many years later, they had made a successful career.
With nine years in the forces myself, I’ve seen many ‘troublemakers’ turned into excellent material. Maybe it is time to look again at the automatic bar on offenders joining up. Once disciplined, they often make the best, and bravest, of soldiers.

© Anthony North, September 2007

Click Tony On for more current affairs

No comments: