Thursday, 27 December 2007

THE McCANN CIRCUS

The McCann circus goes on – and on, and on, and on. I don’t know about you, but I’m sick of it. Indeed, as soon as poor Madeleine went missing, I had the feeling it would go this way.
What happened to her, I doubt we will now ever know. For once media intrusion of this level exists, reality goes out of the window, and we enter Baudrillard’s ‘infotainment’, where fact and fiction merge.
Madeleine, I’m afraid, has now become a symbol rather than a victim – a modern element of macabre folklore. And her parents? Does anyone consider grief any more in this story, or have they become media ‘entities’ rather than real people?
Perhaps something that was inevitable once they hitched a ride with them.

© Anthony North, December 2007

Click Tony On for more current affairs
Crime Page
Why not try my introductory pages? See right

No comments: