Monday, 28 January 2008

GONE BRITANNIA

It has been reported that the ‘esteemed leader’ has approved the removal of Britannia from British 50p coins. This symbol represents so much of what is Britain. So how does this stand regarding Brown’s love of British values?
It stands perfectly in line with his thoughts. Because as is oft the case, a politician picks the ‘values’ he wants. To Brown the values are freedom of speech, compromise and inclusivity – all very admirable, of course.
But gone is a sense of history, tradition and – most importantly – moderation. And if the former are pursued fanatically, whilst ignoring the latter, we end up losing any sense of who we are. And without our traditional safeguards, compromise becomes diktat, inclusivity becomes hatred of the British norm and free speech …
… well, better watch what I say.

© Anthony North, January 2008

From my Diary - NATURE OF GOD - OTHER

For many years I’ve thought about God. I’m not a practicing Christian, but I’m certainly not an atheist, either. I suppose, in some ways, we need more than the material to be complete ...
... read more ...

2 comments:

Kiah said...

I totally agree. And on the part about resolutions... I think not making them would probably make my life alot easier because I wouldn't break them.

anthonynorth said...

Hi Kiah,
Indeed, it is best to resolve not to make them.