Monday, 18 February 2008

THE KOSOVO PROBLEM

So, Kosovo breaks away from Serbia to become an independent state. Now, let me make it clear from the beginning, I supported NATO’s intervention in Kosovo, and it was right to stop the aspirations of the then Serbian government.
But today we live in a different world. Yes, Kosovo should have ‘protection’ for as long as it is needed, but creating an independent state is both a fallacy and a danger. It is a fallacy because it could not be viable without NATO support, eventually coming under the EU umbrella.
And it is dangerous because this is yet another snub to an area of predominantly, and historically, Russian influence. At a time when Russia is doing enough sabre-rattling of its own, to go down this road is lunacy.
Will we never learn?

© Anthony North, February 2008

4 comments:

Ian Garvie said...

But surely it would be better if Kosovo was allowed to go its own way? retaining it under Serbian control, only sets Serbia up for a similar situation as exists in Ireland, where England retained the six counties for their own use, when Eire gained back its freedom. You can't just keep people where they don't want to be.

anthonynorth said...

Hi Ian
I think the point I'm trying to make is that they are not under Serbian rule anyway. They're under NATO protectorate.
I just think it is very bad timing, and an ill-judged move to do this whilst that protectorate exists.
If it was removed, and Kosovo was in danger of being subsumed by an aggressive Serbia once more, then that's a different matter entirely. But that situation is unlikely to happen.

Ian Garvie said...

Hi! Anthony, just discovered the site...damned fine me man :-)

Yeh I got your point, but I think maybe my answer wasn't that well written.

It always seems that when one group try to sudue another, all they end up doing is build up more trouble for themselves in the future, as I said Ulster is the classic example.

Keep up the good work, the site has been bookmarked :-)

anthonynorth said...

Hi Ian,
This is quite true. But often doing more than what is needed can be counter-productive, too.
I'm pleased you like the blog.