Tuesday, 1 April 2008

THE DIANA SHOW IS OVER?

Lord Justice Scott Baker, the Coroner heading the Diana Inquiry, has pronounced there was no conspiracy at the end of six months of proceedings and evidence. Mohamed Al Fayed’s claims are wrong.
The Duke of Edinburgh is not a conspiratorial murderer, and MI6 did not help in a plot to kill the Princess of Wales. Her sons, William and Harry, can now get on with on with their lives, and butler Paul Burrell has been branded a liar.
Well, there’s nothing I didn’t expect there, and I agree totally with the pronouncement, but there isn’t a chance in hell of this being the end of it. Diana was more than a person – she was an icon of truly sensational and global proportions.
I’ve said it before. Tragically, culture does not allow such a person to ever rest.


© Anthony North, April 2008



Beyond the Blog - For Writers

9 comments:

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

You are right Anthony this will never end. Most of the world so loved Diana. I know I certainly did. I was on vacation when her funeral was held. I stayed in my hotel room for every second of her funeral. Have a great day. :)

anthonynorth said...

Hi Sandee,
It was an extremely strange event, the funeral - such communal grief has rarely been seen.

The Governess said...

Hello Anthony, thanks for your comment - re: imagination. Certainly Mohamed Al Fayed’s imagination is far from dead. I'm not sure, really, how much the world "loved" Diana - certainly we were fascinated by her - perhaps because, at the end of the day, she was as human as any of us - foibles and all.

anthonynorth said...

Hi The Governess,
I think that was part of her appeal - she had insecurities that echoed the times. She was a kind of catalyst of contemporary angst.

Steve said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

There should really be more ale in the world to easy tensions......

katherine. said...

I am not a big celebrity (or royal) watcher or follower...but I woke up in the dead of night to see her wedding...and like Sandee watched her funeral. So much of the human drama played out thru her short life

thanks for stopping by

anthonynorth said...

Hi Steve,
Always a good release - in moderation. I enjoy a couple of beers most nights.

Hi Katherine,
Maybe this says it all. Even with no interest in such matters, people know of Diana. She was that iconic.

forgetfulone said...

I remember the event well. I wish they would let her rest in peace.

anthonynorth said...

Hi Forgetfulone,
I share the sentiment, but it is a sad reality that icons of her magnitude and simply not allowed to rest.
Tragic.