Thursday, 10 April 2008

DOCTOR WHO RETURNS

Doctor Who returned on the UK’s BBC1 five nights ago and I haven’t reviewed it yet. I did a background piece on Beyond the Blog here, but seeing it is my favourite programme, I’m ashamed of myself for taking so long.

The writing is as good as ever.

The first episode takes a most unusual look at dietary aids, producing little animated lumps of lard called Asipodes. All females will go ‘aahh!’ with delight, but please remember, this is fat, ladies!
David Tennant is as charismatic as ever, even though he’s a not very good looking, streaky kind of guy (I like him really). His new assistant is Donna from The Runaway Bride episode, played by Catherine Tate.
I’m not sure whether she’ll work, but this may be my personal, undecided bias here. Tate’s shows are 90% rubbish, 10% pure brilliance, but I doubt she’ll be bovvered by my thoughts here.
But just to rescue the prog, this series will see appearances by Martha, Captain Jack and – wait for it – Rose Tyler herself. The good Doctor seems to be assembling The W Team! Can’t wait. Cue theme. Magic!

© Anthony North, April 2008

Click Beyond the Blog (top of sidebar) for my essays, fiction and poetry

2 comments:

keith hillman said...

I share your misgivings about Ms Tate being the good doctors assistant. Although I consider 90% of her programme to be pure genius, I can't watch her now without seeing Grandma Taylor!

anthonynorth said...

Hi Keith,
Indeed. The grandma and teenager are absolute brilliance, but I must confess to not being bovvered about the rest. Although I accept I may be in a minority here.