Wednesday, 7 May 2008

COMPUTER BUGS

Which? Computer magazine has done a study which has found a variety of bugs on computer equipment such as the keyboard. These include e coli. And in a way, this is hardly surprising.
Our hands get everywhere, and it is just about impossible to keep them totally clean all of the time. So we will transfer all sorts from one surface to another. But should we be unduly worried by this?
The simple fact is, people will have been transferring a variety of diseases from place to place for as long as we have existed. We haven’t been wiped out yet. Yes, common sense measures go without saying, but let’s not treat this as a truly horrendous scare story.
To do so just doesn’t compute.

© Anthony North, May 2008

Click Beyond the Blog (top sidebar) for my essays, fiction, poetry

10 comments:

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

I agree with you. I think we overeact with lots of things, but computer workplaces are the worst. I know it's filled with germs, but I too am still alive. So, there you have it. Germs are everywhere...deal with it. Have a great day Anthony. :)

anthonynorth said...

Hi Sandee,
Indeed. And there is an argument that keeping kids away from germs today actually puts them more at risk.
They don't develop a natural immunity.

Julie said...

I know that germs are everywhere but isn't that what our systems are use to fighting?

anthonynorth said...

Hi Julie,
Exactly. I suppose that's why I occasionally write about a health scare story - to point out it IS a scare story - often ridiculous.
But after a time we begin to believe, and we can so easily all end up hypochondriacs.

Pri said...

uhoh...wish there was a antivirus software for our keyboards as well ;)

anthonynorth said...

Hi Pri,
Indeed. Sadly, though, I think we'll have to stick with hardware, and keep on cleaning :-)

the teach said...

Yes, anthony, I guess it's no big deal...I'm glad I work at the computer at home. I have taken to using that desanitizer they sell in little bottles to clean my hands every once in a while. I do that, though, primarily to keep from picking up a cold virus...

anthonynorth said...

Hi the teach,
I'll have to get one. I think I've just picked up a cold.
Now, who's blog was that! :-)

Rita said...

after reading your blog, it prompted me to look at my keyboard, Horror... lol.. but then again germs are everywhere, so i could clean the keyboard and then get germs from somewhere else,so far... touch wood... i am not ill..lol...

Simone said...

hehehehe - interesting facts - sshooo I am still alive and computing away