Tuesday, 6 May 2008

FLOOD

Flood was an excellent TV drama on ITV1 – UK – over the last two nights. Telling the story of a storm surge in the North Sea meeting high tide, the Thames Flood Barrier was overwhelmed, flooding central London.
With an edge of realism – it really could happen – it told the story of some caught in the flood, and that of the authorities trying to save as many lives as possible. It was the first time I’ve known UK TV try such an impressive drama, and CGI was used well, providing some excellent effects.
But more than this, with actors of the stature of Robert Carlyle, Tom Courtenay, David Suchet, Nigel Planer and Joanne Whalley, the human side was equally magnificent. If I had a criticism, it was this:
Why is it that no writer has ever managed to move away from the standard plot of the disaster drama?

© Anthony North, May 2008

Click Beyond the Blog (top sidebar) for my essays, fiction, poetry

4 comments:

Julie said...

I don't know...maybe because there is nothing new under the sun? And that was said 2000 years ago! Sheesh!

anthonynorth said...

Hi Julie,
Very true. But there are infinite variations. And I'm sure some of them could be applied to disaster dramas.

Twilight said...

Great cast, AN. I wonder it it will be shown in the USA in due course.

There's a curious attraction to disaster dramas isn't there? One feels more grateful for current circumstances, however flawed, afterwards.

Do you remember a series on British TV many years ago (70s or 80s?) "The Survivors"? That series was addictive for me. It was the tale of how civilisation broke down after a global epidemic, and how a group who had proved immune to the infection tried to re-build.

anthonynorth said...

Hi Twilight,
Yes, I was quite impressed. British TV doesn't usually do this type of thing very well. Infact, in most areas TV over here is getting worse and worse.
Yet, there have been some gems amongst the dross - I'm thinking Doctor Who, Spooks, and a couple more. I understand the latest proposed venture is to bring back Blake's Seven! Now that will be interesting.
Sadly, I didn't watch the whole of The Survivors, but the ones I did watch were excellent. I don't know whether Flood will go to the US. I hope it does.